Home Forums Fantasy GP Team 20/20 Hindsight

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Jamie Sawyer Jamie Sawyer 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author
    Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

So, this will be a running thread, highlighting the best team selections for each race. Top 100 teams for the first 3 races can be found at Pastebin (I will update this thread as we go along with more data).

I am currently updating my script to pick out the best way of changing teams across the season as well (although that is a big job).

After race 3 of the season, Team 20/20 Hindsight has 847pts, the Championship leader (Parc Ferme) has 581pts.

Australia:

Bottas
    Gutierrez
    Button
    McLaren
    Williams
    Mercedes

Total Value: £75m
    Total Score: 288pts

Best Score in Championship: 210pts

Malaysia:

Bottas
    Ericsson
    Massa
    Red Bull
    Williams
    Mercedes

Total Value: £72m
    Total Score: 270pts

Best Score in Championship: 278pts [NB: Another thread has been written based on this discrepancy]

Bahrain:

Hulkenberg
    Ricciardo
    Chilton
    Force India
    Williams
    Mercedes

Total Value: £64m
    Total Score: 289pts

Best Score in Championship: 229pts

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

So, an update following the findings from http://badgergp.com/forums/topic/malaysia-results/ – thanks to Adam for that!

So, the scores in the first 3 races achieved by Team 20/20 Hindsight were:

Australia: 303 points
    Malaysia: 295 points
    Bahrain: 304 points

And going further than that, the best static team now nets a wonderful 535 points – joint-23rd in the world championship!

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

Best Team for China:

Perez
    Hulkenberg
    Bottas
    Red Bull Racing
    Mercedes
    Williams

Total Value: £75m
    Total Score: 267pts

Updated best teams for China: http://pastebin.com/E6rVb0rf

Best static team is currently:

Bottas
    Hulkenberg
    Rosberg
    Force India
    Williams
    Mercedes

Total Points: 626pts – will update position in overall championship when Badger has updated :)

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

Interesting aside here – looks like the forum isn’t putting posts in the correct order… Check the post of 20th April at 10:01am UK for latest update for China.

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

For reference, best score in championship was 256 points for China, where the best possible was 267.

The static team has dropped to joint-245th in the Championship (from 39th last race :( ) – poor static team :(

Adam Mills
    Keymaster

Nice one Jamie – impressive stuff, I should pay attention, am currently languishing between 800-900th place myself :(

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

So, another race, another update for Team 20/20 Hindsight – bit of a weird result for the BadgerGP competition this race, with no stand-out overtakers outside of Vettel (who is pricey as all hell) and Maldonado.

So, the best teams are able to get 261 point this race (compared to 304 for Bahrain), and there were 4 potential options to get this best team, and they *all* include a zero-scoring team!

Bottas, Rosberg, Vettel – Caterham (0 scoring), Williams, Mercedes – Total Cost £75m
    Bottas, Vettel, Maldonado – Toro Rosso/Caterham/Marussia, Williams, Mercedes – Total Cost £74m/£70m/£71m respectively

Intuition said to me that with so few high scoring drivers, it would be best to grab high-scoring teams – turns out this intuition was well wrong – best score with teams which all scored points (which interestingly include drivers with zero score) was 254:

[254, 75, (('KOB', 'VET', 'MAL'), ('FOR', 'WIL', 'MER'))]
    [254, 73, (('ERI', 'VET', 'MAL'), ('FOR', 'WIL', 'MER'))]
    [254, 74, (('BIA', 'VET', 'MAL'), ('FOR', 'WIL', 'MER'))]
    [254, 74, (('VET', 'CHI', 'MAL'), ('FOR', 'WIL', 'MER'))]
    [254, 74, (('VET', 'MAL', 'KVY'), ('FOR', 'WIL', 'MER'))]

Taking this further, I’dve thought Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull would have been good, but of course with no budget left for drivers, you end up with just 219 points:

[219, 75, (('KOB', 'ERI', 'BIA'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]
    [219, 75, (('KOB', 'ERI', 'CHI'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]
    [219, 75, (('KOB', 'ERI', 'KVY'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]
    [219, 74, (('ERI', 'BIA', 'CHI'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]
    [219, 74, (('ERI', 'BIA', 'KVY'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]
    [219, 74, (('ERI', 'CHI', 'KVY'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]
    [219, 75, (('BIA', 'CHI', 'KVY'), ('RBR', 'FER', 'MER'))]

So, long story short, turns out I’ve really buggered up my own team this race, and Team 20/20 Hindsight flies high as ever!

Willi Gauda
    Participant

Very cool thread. Is your script somewhere available?

Jamie Sawyer
      Participant

Hey Willi,

Sure thing – you can fork from here: https://bitbucket.org/jsawyeruk/badgergp-best_teams/overview – if you want to make any changes just put in a pull request :)

Jamie

PS: Apologies for the poor code quality, it’s pretty “quick and dirty” :P

Willi Gauda
      Participant

Hi Jamie,

thanks for the link! I will have a look. No worries about the code quality. It works, so that’s good enough for a start ;).

Willi

Willi Gauda
    Participant

Cloned your repository and ran your code. Python is new to me; its
    dynamic typing is mind bending :) Lots of insight can be gained from
    your script. Thanks again for sharing. The real quest would be to
    determine good predictions for the next race :)

Adam Mills
    Keymaster

Did you continue with this @Jebjoya?

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

Hey Adam,

I need to get back on this – been a bit busy with work recently! Got some code changes I need to make, in particular to calculate the best team changes (which will slow the code quite singnificantly in its current form). I’m in Gibraltar with work at the moment, but I’ll try to run the current version one evening this week if I get the chance.

Jamie S

Jamie Sawyer
    Participant

So, another interesting stat is the best static team – the best score you can get by logging into badgergp at the start of the season, setting your team, setting the predictions for Australia, and then leaving it to run. (NB: that means just 120 points from predictions total – all other points come from driver and team points)

So, with that basis, the best team at this point in the season (post-Bahrain) the best team is:

Bottas
    Rosberg
    Chilton
    Force India
    McLaren
    Mercedes

Which would net you a total of 520 points, netting joint-39th position in the world championship! :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.