Exciting news folks – one of the most fun F1-themed games since Super Monaco GP is now available for free in the App Store for iOS.
Alongside their brilliant F1 series, Codemasters produced F1 Racestars a while back, which you could quite rightly call “F1 Mario Kart” and it was exactly as it is on the tin – as fun as the legendary Mario Kart series, but very much Formula 1.
Now they’ve brought the game to iOS for those with a shiny iPhone or iPad to enjoy too. What’s more, is that it’s a free app – amazing! Christmas has indeed come early. We’ve already had a play here in the Sett and are enjoying it a plenty. The format is as with original F1 Racestars in that you thrash around in your mini F1 car collecting power ups, accumulating KERS boosts through power-sliding and knocking out the competition a la Pastor Maldonado.
The iOS version is very much centred around building up your collection of coins to buy upgrades and acquiring experience points and achievements along the way. It’s all in with GameCenter so you can challenge your friends too.
Formula 1 isn’t boring and F1 Racestars definitely isn’t.
Check out the screenshots below and treat yourself to the app today from 2pm in all App Stores worldwide. Just remember to put it down this weekend and enjoy the Monaco GP too.
And if you want some more info – here’s the detail from Codemasters themselves…
- A NEW DEVELOPMENT FOR iOS – F1 RACE STARS’ track design, handling and customisation options are designed to bring fast and fun arcade thrills to racing fans of all ages and is optimised for use on Apple’s latest A7 chip powered iPads and iPhones.
- CONSOLE QUALITY VISUALS – Powered by Codemasters’ EGO Game Technology Platform to feature High Dynamic Range rendering with bloom, full screen post-process effects (blur, distortion, vignettes, anti-aliasing), dynamic weather effects, spherical harmonic lighting and global illumination. Basically, it looks amazing.
- OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE CARS & STARS – Features all the cars, teams and stars from the 2013 FORMULA ONE season including Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso.
- 40+ TRACKS TO MASTER – Set at real-world F1™ GRAND PRIX locations, gamers can race over 40 free-to-play tracks. Power around tight and twisty Monaco, speed along a dragon’s back in China or tear up the baseball field in the USA and more!
- FAST & FUN HANDLING – Players can powerslide around corners, use slipstream to close the gap and choose touch or tilt, right or left-handed controls and includes support for the latest game controllers.
- AWESOME POWER-UPS – Unleash the mighty Bottle Rocket to power through the pack, call in a Rain Cloud on the leader, slow rivals with Wet Weather and many more!
- FANTASY DRIVERS – Play as your favourite star or choose from a huge selection of fantasy drivers with their own special abilities – including Robot, Ninja, Wizard, Secret Agent and many more.
- COLLECT & COMBINE UPGRADES – Players can discover hundreds of upgrades to boost their character’s skills which can be combined to improve and customise on-track performance.
- FIVE RACE MODES – Players can choose from Race events, Elimination mode, Slalom Gate events, Pole Position sprints and tactical Refuel races.
- TV OUTPUT & GAMEPAD – Experience F1 RACE STARS on your TV and use your device as a controller with dual display mode. F1 RACE STARS also includes support for gamepads for the full console experience.
- MULTIPLAYER & SOCIAL SUPPORT – Multiplayer racing is available via Bluetooth and WifFi and gamers can unlock 50+ achievements with Game Center and share progress through Facebook.
- OFFICIALLY LICENSED – From Codemasters, the publishers of award-winning, multi-million selling FORMULA 1 videogames, F1 RACE STARS is officially licensed by Formula One World Championship Limited.