FACT: Either Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso will be crowned 2012 World Champion when the chequered flag falls at the season-ending Brazilian GP on Sunday.
Well, we all know one of them will pick up their third Championship this Sunday, but what has to happen for each of them to get there?
Defending champion Vettel heads into the title-deciding race as the favourite to win his third consecutive crown as he holds a 13-point lead over the Ferrari driver, following his second-place finish at Austin.
However, Formula One has proved in recent years that it’s not over until the Fat Lady sings and Alonso is sure to go all out to in an attempt to win his hat-trick of titles.
Here are the permutations for the 2012 Championship.
Sebastian Vettel will be champion if…
- He finishes in the top four (regardless of where Alonso is)
- He finishes 5th, 6th or 7th and Alonso doesn’t win.
- He finishes 8th or 9th and Alonso is 3rd or lower
- He finishes 10th or lower and Alonso fails to make it onto the podium
Fernando Alonso will win be champion if…
- He wins the race and Vettel is 5th or lower
- He finishes 2nd and Vettel is 8th or lower
- He finishes 3rd and Vettel is 10th or lower
So anywhere 3rd or lower and Alonso will not claim his 3rd championship. The great thing about the championship decider being in Brazil is that regardless if the championship is a foregone conclusion or not, the race will be great and with the rather wet weather forecast anything could happen.
Wherever that fat lady is, she’s not singing just yet.